[Zope-dev] Re: How to publish Zope2 products on PyPI

Andreas Jung lists at zopyx.com
Sat Sep 22 07:55:00 EDT 2007

--On 22. September 2007 12:40:04 +0100 Martin Aspeli <optilude at gmx.net>
wrote:

> Andreas Jung wrote:
>
>> I think there are currently several approaches doing products-as-eggs in
>> the Zope 2 world - I also lost track a bit and have no idea how to do it
>> the right way[tm].
>
> To my knowledge, there are only two, complementary approaches:
>
>   1. Keep the Products.* namespace
>
>     - distribute your egg with a namespace package 'Products'
>     - only works (reliably) on zope trunk/2.11+
>     - ZCML processing and initialize() is implicit/automated
>
>   2. Use a regular python package (whether with a namespace or not)
>
>     - distribute your egg with any namespace (or no namespace)
>     - most of the plone.app.* packages are products
>     - works on Zope 2.10.4+
>     - ZCML is only processed if the package is explicitly included from
> site.zcml (or a ZCML slug, or another package/product that is being
> processed)
>     - The package only becomes a product if the <five:registerPackage />
> ZCML directive is in use

Tnx for clarification. Another question: what's the point not using entry
points since service discovery is one of the reasons for using entry points.
Ok, with globally installed eggs this will lead to a disaster...however for
isolated installations via buildout or something similar using entry points
might be useful.

-aj