[Zope-dev] Re: How to publish Zope2 products on PyPI

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Sun Sep 23 13:05:29 EDT 2007

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote at 2007-9-22 19:27 +0200:
>Dieter Maurer wrote:
>* PyPI doesn't necessarily have to contain eggs. It's primarily a
>discovery mechanism for humans. The fact that setuptools can download
>packages from it is not as important as the fact that developers can
>find packages there.

The reason why I had to promiss to make my products available via PyPI
was that they can be downloaded from there.

>>   We extend the Zope2 configuration with an option "additional-products"
>>   which lists the products used by the instance that are not
>>   at a standard place -- such as those installed by "setuptools"
>
>As long as the packages are on the PYTHONPATH, Zope 2 will find them. I
>don't think there's a need for this new directive.

But, such packages are not treated as Zope2 products -- which is essential
for packages that are to be used as Zope2 products.

I have learned meanwhile that by some disregard of concerns, Five
can turn a package into a Zope2 product.
Thus, the functionality is there -- just maybe in the wrong place.

--
Dieter