[Zope-dev] Re: Options replacing DateTime with datetime!?

Laurence Rowe l at lrowe.co.uk
Wed Sep 26 06:08:23 EDT 2007

Andreas Jung wrote:
<snip />

> Just for the logs: I gave up my work on an inplace DateTime migration..
> too compliated, too much cruft would have to remain for backward
> compatibility. Let's see how we can address the issue in a reasonable
> way :-)

To enable an evolutionary approach DateTime <-> datetime conversions
must be made round-tripable. This is currently difficult as DateTimes
have a resolution of milliseconds and datetimes a resolution of
microseconds. I propose:

   * Increase the resolution of DateTimes to microseconds

   * Modify the DateTime constructor to handle datetime objects

   * add an asdatetime method which will return a datetime object
(avoiding any issues with floating point conversions).

If there is support for this I will supply a patch.

Laurence