[Zope-dev] straighting out the SQLAlchemy integration mess

Martijn Pieters mj at zopatista.com
Wed Apr 9 04:00:26 EDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 11:54 PM, Martijn Faassen <faassen at startifact.com> wrote:
>  All of these are in various states of brokenness. z3c.zalchemy doesn't work
> with SQLAlchemy trunk. collective.lead works with it, but only if you check
> out a particular branch, and not with sqlite. Quite possibly z3c.sqlalchemy
> has a release that actually works. One out of three is not bad... :)

We are going into production with collective.lead and are committed to
releasing the 1.0 branch as 1.0. sqlite works just great for us, we
use it to run unit tests and for developers that just need to adjust
the styling and such. The production environment will run against
Oracle.

>  There must be a reason for this proliferation of approaches. What is it?
> We all get along, don't we? I know that the various packages are taking code
> and approaches from each other too.

Different use-cases and philosophies of development.

>  In the end, I hope we will end up with just *one* integration layer, that
> is released, that works with Zope 2 and Zope 3 and a recent release of
> SQLAlchemy, that is documented, and that people know about. We can then
> offer packages on top of this that offer extra features.

Sounds like a good idea.

--
Martijn Pieters