[Zope-dev] Re: straighting out the SQLAlchemy integration mess

Laurence Rowe l at lrowe.co.uk
Thu Apr 10 11:42:53 EDT 2008

Martin Aspeli wrote:
> Laurence Rowe wrote:
>
>> Should one phase commit be set as the default to make it easier to
>> work with sqlite (and mssql)? Probably yes.
>
> Ideally we'd guess based on the URL scheme but allow it to be set
> explicitly, IMHO. Single phase would be the fallback, I guess.

I don't like the idea of guessing too much, but it could be done in the
__init__. There might be good reasons to choose one phase commit even
for a two phase commit supporting database (i.e. when you only are
talking to a single database, it is more efficient).

Given that a single database is the common case I am tempted to say just
make 1PC the default.

>> Should the default be for sessions to start out `active` or `dirty`?
>> If they start out `dirty` then existing 1.0 code should work as before.
>
> What are the implications of having them start out dirty?

Unnecessary commits to the database for read only transactions (i.e. the
current situation)

Laurence