[Zope-dev] Re: AW: Heads up: Dependencies!

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Sun Apr 13 12:25:46 EDT 2008

On Apr 12, 2008, at 10:01 PM, Tres Seaver wrote:
> Even better:  use the documented setuptools keyword[1]
> 'tests_require',
> and get the testrunner / buildout to use that hook when running tests.

This doesn't address the central point that testing a different
software configuration in testing than will be used in production can
lead to unpleasant surprises in production.

As to tests_require, unfortunately, it can't be used by buildout or
any other setuptools-based application because it's presence isn't
reflected in egg info. :( This is why people who want to provide test
dependencies have been forced to use test extras. (tests_require is
only usable by the test runner setup command.

See http://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2007-January/007082.html

FWIW, I think using test extras is a necessary evil when testing
dependencies are significant.  I wouldn't use it just to avoid a
dependency on zope.testing, but I would and have used test extras to
avoid more extensive dependencies.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton