[Zope-dev] Re: ZConfig 2.5.1 test failures

Tres Seaver tseaver at palladion.com
Tue Apr 22 20:08:11 EDT 2008

Fred Drake wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 6:49 PM, Timothy Selivanow
> <timothy.selivanow at virtualxistenz.com> wrote:
>> I'm getting a Traceback when running `python setup.py test` for
>>  ZConfig-2.5.1 as per the changelog.  Attached is the output, let me know
>>  how I can help.  I'm not a proficient python programmer; however, I'm
>>  more than willing to learn more.
>
> Can you provide the traceback?  I'm getting this:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "setup.py", line 1, in ?
>     from setuptools import find_packages, setup
> ImportError: No module named setuptools
>
> This is because someone (Tres, IIRC) changed things to assume that
> setuptools is always available.  If you're using zc.buildout, it
> pretty much is, but probably isn't part of your Python installation
> (it'll certainly not be part of mine).

Not it. ;)

 $ svn blame svn+ssh://svn.zope.org/repos/main/ZConfig/trunk/setup.py\
   | grep setuptools
  79390     fdrake from setuptools import find_packages, setup

My changes were to add support for running tests using 'setup.py test'.
See output from:

 $ svn diff svn+ssh://svn.zope.org/repos/main/ZConfig/tags/2.5{,.1}

> If that's the problem you're seeing, I'm inclined to fix things so
> that setuptools is supported if found (required for "python setup.py
> test", since "test" is from setuptools, not distutils), but otherwise
> remains optional.

- -1.  In fact, the setuptools dependency has been there since the initial
checkin to a "satellite" direcotry (#72182):

 $ svn blame -r 76917 \
   svn+ssh://svn.zope.org/repos/main/ZConfig/trunk/setup.py \
    | grep setuptools
  72182        jim from setuptools import setup

FWIW, using a python which does have setuptools installed, I get:

 $ /path/to/python-with-setuptools setup.py test
 running test
 Checking .pth file support in \
   /home/tseaver/bin/python2.4 -E -c pass
 Searching for zope.testing
 Reading http://pypi.python.org/simple/zope.testing/
 Reading http://svn.zope.org/zope.testing
 Best match: zope.testing 3.5.1
 Downloading \
http://pypi.python.org/packages/source/z/zope.testing/zope.testing-3.5.1.tar.gz#md5=8f843c98ac3baf678db3e9fba42657f8
 Processing zope.testing-3.5.1.tar.gz
 Running zope.testing-3.5.1/setup.py -q bdist_egg --dist-dir \
  /tmp/easy_install-1s54Lg/zope.testing-3.5.1/egg-dist-tmp-2bnzUH

 Installed /home/tseaver/tmp/ZConfig-2.5.1/zope.testing-3.5.1-py2.4.egg
 running egg_info
 creating ZConfig.egg-info
 writing ZConfig.egg-info/PKG-INFO
 writing top-level names to ZConfig.egg-info/top_level.txt
 writing dependency_links to ZConfig.egg-info/dependency_links.txt
 writing manifest file 'ZConfig.egg-info/SOURCES.txt'
 writing manifest file 'ZConfig.egg-info/SOURCES.txt'
 running build_ext
 test_derived_dict \
 (ZConfig.components.basic.tests.test_mapping.BasicSectionTypeTestCase)\
  ... ok
 test_undefined_names (ZConfig.tests.test_subst.SubstitutionTestCase)\
  ... ok

 Ran 155 tests in 1.005s

 OK

Tres.