[Zope-dev] Zope2 monitoring

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Wed Apr 30 11:33:24 EDT 2008

Jens Vagelpohl wrote:

> On Apr 30, 2008, at 12:41 , Christian Theune wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 12:16:53PM +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
>>> I'm trying to figure out what the current state of the art for
>>> monitoring Zope2 processes is. Ideally I'ld want the equivalent of
>>> zc.z3monitor.
>>>
>>> I figured the medua monitorserver would be a good start, but judging
>>> by the facts that it can only deal with clear-text passwords while the
>>> rest of Zope uses hashed passwords and anything unexpected, such as
>>> using command that produces a lot of output such as locals(), breaks
>>> the whole session makes me suspect that nobody is using that.
>>>
>>> What do other people use? Is there any interest in improving the medusa
>>> monitor server?
>>
>> I'm still using and maintaining ZNagios[1] which, by now, has direct
>> support for
>> Munin and Nagios.
>>
>> If you're missing any probes/values, just tell me.
>
> Is it possible to determine process size/memory consumption?

While I think it's a little off-topic from Wiggy's original request (I think he
just wants to be able to communicate with the remote process interactively
instead of having a watchdog process automatically restarting it), but
supervisor restarts crashed processes and now ships with an event listener that
will restart a process if it's consuming too much memory:

http://supervisord.org/manual/current/memmon.html

-