[Zope-dev] Re: bad "zope.size" to remove from PyPI

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Mon Aug 4 07:09:08 EDT 2008

On Aug 4, 2008, at 12:37 AM, Aaron Lehmann wrote:

>>> Still, it's likely that someone was using it and their buildouts
>>> are now
>>> broken.  We should have instead generated a proper release with a
>>> higher
>>> version number and left the dev release alone.
>>
>> This is silly.
>>
>> Mistakes happen. Buildout and/or setuptools should be tolerant of
>> accidental releases that are then removed from PyPI.
>>
>> What currently happens in cases like this?
>

> If the buildout is nailed to that version or above, and there is
> none, it breaks.  Worse, if someone now adds another egg of the
> same version, but consumers have cached a version, their buildout
> won't download it, because it will already have that version in
> cache.  I realize that this particular compound error is unlikely
> to happen in this instance, but the principle holds.
>
> Yes, mistakes happen.  What Benji is saying is that deletion is not
> the right way to remedy them, as unintuitive as that may seem.

I do agree that easy_install behavior is pretty insane wrt preferring
dev releases over stable "old" releases.  But I think it's pretty
reasonable to delete accidental releases, whatever the behavior of
setuptools/easy_install/buildout.

In the first case you mention where "buildout is nailed to that
version or above", that would have to be in error, as the release
shouldn't have been made in the first place.  That also seems true of
the second case, but I suppose the difference is the offended person
is more innocent there: they should likely contact the person who
released it and ask them to not do that again.

- C