[Zope-dev] zope.app.authentication 3.4.3 + download.zope.org/simple == broken

Marius Gedminas marius at gedmin.as
Fri Aug 15 11:20:57 EDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 04:00:22PM -0400, Gary Poster wrote:
> If you use the http://download.zope.org/ppix or http://download.zope.org/simple
>   indexes and try to get zope.app.authentication 3.4.3 (the newest),
> you will get a 404 error.
>
> Looking at PyPI and the zope.org index, it is evident why.
>
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/zope.app.authentication/3.4.3 only lists
> one release, the source release
>
> http://download.zope.org/simple/zope.app.authentication/ lists 3.4.3
> eggs as well.
>
> I strongly suspect that someone uploaded the zope.app.authentication
> eggs to PyPI; the zope.org index saw them and recorded them; and then
> someone removed the eggs from PyPI.

My fault.  The eggs in question were (a) broken (doctests with
inconsistent line endings causing test module import failures) and (b)
unnecessrary (the eggs had no extension modules inside).  I asked on IRC
whether removing binary eggs from PyPI would be bad, given that there's
a source distribution for the same version, and nobody brought up
zope.org's index.

> It would be great if someone could re-upload the eggs to PyPI.
>
> More importantly, this is a reminder to please not remove eggs.  The
> behavior or download.zope.org/simple is reasonable.  Removing eggs
> isn't. :-)

Well, now I know.  Previously I thought only removing whole released
versions from PyPI was bad.

Marius Gedminas
--
It is easier to optimize correct code than to correct optimized code.
                -- Bill Harlan