[Zope-dev] Problems with schema Date field - year is truncated

Hermann Himmelbauer dusty at qwer.tk
Wed Aug 27 11:52:00 EDT 2008

Hi,
I'm somehow stuck on the following problem:

I defined a Date() schema field in one of my interfaces. I currently have a
de-AT locale, so I'd like to enter the value of my date as e.g. "dd.MM.YYYY",
e.g. "01.02.1980" in my z3c.form based form.

What happens is, that the locale silently assumes a format of "dd.MM.yy",
which means, that the "YY / 80" is truncated and "01.02.19" is stored in my
database, when updating.

So, I'd like to know if:

- It is possible to change the format to "dd.MM.yyyy", which is a lot more
appropriate for my application (a birth date)
- Make the application more strict, meaning that no data is truncated in any
case.

I tried to stick my nose into i18n.locales but was somehow overwhelmed by what
I found. However, the following somehow seems to explain it:

</dateFormatLength >
    <dateFormatLength type="medium">
           <dateFormat >
               <pattern>dd.MM.yyyy</pattern>
            </dateFormat>
    </dateFormatLength >
    <dateFormatLength type="short">
           <dateFormat >
               <pattern>dd.MM.yy</pattern>
           </dateFormat>
    </dateFormatLength >

Nevertheless I don't know if there's a way to select a specific dateFormat,
e.g. "medium" in my case.

Best Regards,
Hermann

hermann at qwer.tk
GPG key ID: 299893C7 (on keyservers)
FP: 0124 2584 8809 EF2A DBF9  4902 64B4 D16B 2998 93C7