[Zope-dev] [Checkins] SVN: zope.testbrowser/trunk/ - Switched to Zope 3.4 KGS.

Christian Theune ct at gocept.com
Tue Dec 9 11:07:47 EST 2008

Hi,

On Tue, 2008-12-09 at 10:28 -0500, Benji York wrote:
> [... -vvv ...]
> I wonder if the best possible world might be one in which setup.py
> versions are overridable by buildout's version section.  That would seem
> to give people both options.
>
> In fact, that sounds really appealing to me.  I'd like to know that a
> package author thinks I should use a newer version, while maintaining
> the option of easily ignoring their advice.

I think this is the most important point in here. I think there would
also be value to not *having* to care until you need.

If we never specify minimum versions then I always *have* to check
manually for each package and can not choose to be ignorant.

I also think that it might be worthwhile to have a buildout option that
will make it ignore the version specifications in the egg on request,
because then:

a) the requirements that the author thinks are good are documented in a
   well known place and in a structured manner
b) the requirements can be applied by standard tools and for people who
   choose to ignore the issue (and are not bitten by it)
c) you can still override in your case.

Christian

Christian Theune · ct at gocept.com