[Zope-dev] z3c.form 2.0 release

Hermann Himmelbauer dusty at qwer.tk
Wed Dec 10 05:05:06 EST 2008

Am Dienstag 09 Dezember 2008 16:24:41 schrieb Roger Ineichen:
> Hi Brian
>
> > Betreff: Re: [Zope-dev] z3c.form 2.0 release

> > of z3c.form?

> > trunk (for

> > whether to roll

> > > I am considering the code feature complete. I would like to get
> > > confirmation from people that (a) the z3c.pt integration works well
> >
> > I have an issue with this. z3c.pt.compat creates a nasty
> > issue when trying to package it as a Debian package.
> >
> > The root cause seems to be that z3c.pt.compat declares z3c.pt
> > as a namespace package. These are defined in the setuptools
> > documentation to be "merely a container for modules and
> > subpackages." [1]. z3c.pt doesn't conform to that as it
> > contains files. This doesn't matter till you try to install
> > it using the --single-version-externally-managed option, at
> > which point you get file conflicts.
> >
> > I've been thinking about it a while, and I think the only
> > solution is to rename z3c.pt.compat to z3c.ptcompat, make a
> > new release of that and migrate z3c.form. I'm willing to
> > implement that if there's enough support.
> >
> > [1]
> > http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/setuptools#namespace-packages
>
> I agree
> A package should never use another package as it's namespace.
> Which means a package can not be both a package and namespace for
> other packages.

Ah, that's interesting. Because I recently released a package
called "z3c.iban", which is basically about a schema about the international
bank account number.

Someone recently suggested to rename it to z3c.schema.iban, which sounds a
good idea to me, however, in this case my package would use another package,
namely z3c.schema, as namespace.

So what's your suggestion in this case?

Best Regards,
Hermann

hermann at qwer.tk
GPG key ID: 299893C7 (on keyservers)
FP: 0124 2584 8809 EF2A DBF9  4902 64B4 D16B 2998 93C7