[Zope-dev] z3c.form 2.0 release

Roger Ineichen dev at projekt01.ch
Wed Dec 10 07:02:02 EST 2008

Hi Herman

> Betreff: Re: [Zope-dev] z3c.form 2.0 release
>
> Am Dienstag 09 Dezember 2008 16:24:41 schrieb Roger Ineichen:
> > Hi Brian
> >
> > > Betreff: Re: [Zope-dev] z3c.form 2.0 release

> > > of z3c.form?

> > > trunk (for

> > > whether to roll

> > > I have an issue with this. z3c.pt.compat creates a nasty
> issue when
> > > trying to package it as a Debian package.
> > >
> > > The root cause seems to be that z3c.pt.compat declares
> z3c.pt as a
> > > namespace package. These are defined in the setuptools
> documentation
> > > to be "merely a container for modules and subpackages."
> [1]. z3c.pt
> > > doesn't conform to that as it contains files. This doesn't matter
> > > till you try to install it using the
> > > --single-version-externally-managed option, at which
> point you get
> > > file conflicts.
> > >
> > > I've been thinking about it a while, and I think the only
> solution
> > > is to rename z3c.pt.compat to z3c.ptcompat, make a new release of
> > > that and migrate z3c.form. I'm willing to implement that
> if there's
> > > enough support.
> > >
> > > [1]
> > >
> http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/setuptools#namespace-package
> >
> > I agree
> > A package should never use another package as it's namespace.
> > Which means a package can not be both a package and namespace for
> > other packages.
>
> Ah, that's interesting. Because I recently released a package
> called "z3c.iban", which is basically about a schema about
> the international bank account number.
>
> Someone recently suggested to rename it to z3c.schema.iban,
> which sounds a good idea to me, however, in this case my
> package would use another package, namely z3c.schema, as namespace.
>
> So what's your suggestion in this case?

You should move the iban folder to the existing
z3c.schema package. But only if the z3c.schema.iban
doesn''t depend on any other package the z3c.schema
already does.

Otherwise you should rename the package to z3c.iban
or anything you like.

Or we could do it the other way arround. We could
split the z3c.schema package into different pacakges
like z3c.schema.iban. This whould be nicer because
we can share th z3c.schema package as a namespace.

I'm fine with everything as long as we don't use
real packages as namespace for packages.

Regards
Roger Ineichen