[Zope-dev] [Checkins] SVN: zc.dict/branches/tlotze-blist/src/zc/dict/ordered.txt added a test to ensure the order is stored in a BList

Thomas Lotze tl at gocept.com
Tue Dec 23 16:06:34 EST 2008

Gary Poster <gary.poster at gmail.com> schrieb:

> OK.  I'll give it a whirl sometime over the next couple of weeks, if
> that's soon enough for you.

Sure.

> FWIW, I'd be strongly tempted to release *without* the generation
> code, and leave it up to users to switch as they desire.

Fine with me. I'm pretty confident of the other changes I've made,
BTW, and there's not exactly a lot of them either.

> 1) That's particularly pertinent for library bits like this because a
> tree walker would have to walk over *all* attributes and __getitem__s
> in order to find instances of things like a blist, which will
> generally be hidden deep in application objects; or would have to use
> an iteration protocol like the one that FileStorage provides.

Right. Looking closer at the utility function I've used so far for
walking the objects, I think it doesn't nearly cover all the places a
dict could hide.

> 2) Old instances (with lists, not blists) will still work fine with
> the new code, and in fact should continue to work even with new apis
> as long as the ordered dict apis use the list apis (like slices) to
> manipulate the order.

They do.

> 3) How many people are really using the blist right now anyway in
> production?

No idea...

> Generation code is hard to test in the abstract.

Do we actually have any best practices for that?

Viele Grüße,
Thomas

Thomas Lotze · tl at gocept.com