[Zope-dev] Zope 3.4.0 candidate 1 Released

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Fri Feb 1 09:53:21 EST 2008

On Feb 1, 2008, at 9:42 AM, Chris McDonough wrote:

> Tom Hoffman wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 1, 2008 at 9:22 AM, Chris McDonough <chrism at plope.com>
>> wrote:
>>> I'll take a risk by stating the obvious.
>>>
>>> If there will continue to be a release schedule for "Zope 3, the
>>> appserver" It
>>> would reduce confusion to new users greatly to give the appserver
>>> release a name
>>> other than Zope.
>>>
>>> Eg.
>>>
>>> Current name              Proposed name
>>> ------------              -------------
>>> "Zope2"                -> Zope
>>> "Zope3, the libraries" -> Zope libraries
>>> "Zope3 the appserver"  -> Frobnozz
>> Isn't this release sort of the last of its kind, though?  Kind of a
>> weird time for a name change
>
> I've heard that rumored, but there's nothing indicating that in the
> release announcement.  There are forward looking statements in
> there: "tarballs... for the last 3.4 series and probably for 3.5 as
> well."  I take this to mean that there's an intention to have a 3.5,
> 3.6, 3.7 release, etc, but past 3.5, the release won't be packaged
> as a tarball.  If this is the case, even if it's just for 3.5, it
> would sure help reduce confusion to give this "release of
> packages" (even if it's just a buildout and the KGS for that
> release) a name other than "Zope".
>
>> Or if not, it would seem like there would be a better argument for
>> the
>> new approach having a new name than the old one.
>
> I'm not sure which is "the new approach" and which is the "old one"?

I'm glad you brought this up.  Some observations:

- I think the goal of these releases is less to provide an application
than to provide a possibly useful collection of some libraries.  This
is similar to the Python standard library.  Some people see
significant value in this.  I believe that other web frameworks, like
TurboGears, also make releases that assemble a bunch of eggs, so
people can use their frameworks without having to download eggs from
PyPI.

- The new approach to making a release would be to create an egg-based
release, probably building on zc.sourcerelease.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton
Zope Corporation