[Zope-dev] Zope3 server control machinery is untested

Christian Theune ct at gocept.com
Tue Feb 19 08:54:52 EST 2008

Hi,

Jim Fulton schrieb:
> This only applies to Zope3 developers and people using the Zope 3 ZMI.
>
> I'm trying to get rid of ThreadedAsync.  zope.app.server uses it to
> cause the asyncore main loop to stop as part of the server-control
> functionality.
>
> There are no tests for this afaict. Trying this throigh the web,
> shutdown seems to work, but not restart.  (It looks like restart doesn't
> work because the exit status os only used to exit the loop. It isn't
> used in the call to sys.exit.)
>
> I propose, at least, to remove this untested functionality from
> zope.app.server.
>
> I'd be for removing it from zope.app.twisted, if it is there, and for
> removing the UI from zope.app.applicationcontrol.
 >

> Thoughts?

That code sounds very familiar and reminds me of my first sprint. IIRC
we opted out testing this code because we didn't know how to do that.

Personally I haven't been using this button at all the console scripts
are much more convenient for me.

grok currently exposes the functionality in a very accessible way
through the standard UI though.

Christian

--
gocept gmbh & co. kg - forsterstrasse 29 - 06112 halle (saale) - germany