AW: [Zope-dev] buildout 'versions' and 'develop' conflict

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Sat Feb 23 09:46:09 EST 2008

On Feb 23, 2008, at 9:14 AM, Roger Ineichen wrote:
> What do you mean by:
>
> "develop eggs are also used for many system package installs :("

See: http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/setuptools#install-command

This is the technique that Ubuntu uses to install eggs into the Ubuntu
system Python.  The eggs are unpacked into site-packages, so all eggs
use a common source directory rather than each having a separate zip
file or directory.  Setuptools marks these as develop eggs.  Buildout
can't easily tell these apart from normal develop eggs. I find this to
be very annoying.

I could probably make buildout treat develop eggs with links in the
develop-eggs directory differently.

>> As you found out, you can simply override the version in your
>> buildout/
>
> Only for development, it doesn't make sense this duplicated
> definition.

Martijn agrees with you. I'm on the fence.

> It sound like a additionl seatbelt.

Or sit up.

> For what is this
> double definition good for? Or is this based on some implementation
> details?

It's mainly a matter of explicit is better than implicit, but it comes
down to the meaning of the versions option.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton
Zope Corporation