[Zope-dev] Re: buildout 'versions' and 'develop' conflict

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Tue Feb 26 09:33:38 EST 2008

Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Martijn Faassen wrote:
>> Christian Theune wrote:
>>> Martijn Faassen schrieb:
>> [snip]
>>> It's not clear to me that it's a DRY violation (see my argument that
>>> those functions are actually orthogonal).
>> The rule for the most common use case is now:
>>
>> If you want to develop a package, add it to 'develop' *and* create a
>> versions section if it doesn't exist, let the 'versions' line in
>> [buildout] point to it, and add the "package_name = " to it.
>>
>> I see a repetition in the package name here. You list it in two places.
>> I think that's a DRY violation given that wanting a package listed in
>> develop to be picked up is the most common use case.
>
> That highly depends on how you work. I normally do not pin to exact
> revisions but to ranges, which work just fun with dev eggs.

I'm confused. How do you work with ranges in a versions section? I'm
talking about this construction:

[buildout]
develop = my_package
versions = some_release

[some_release]
my_package = 3

I didn't realize you could work with ranges there?

> If you don't want to pin something - remove the pin. Don't expect
> something to magically make your pin go away.

I do want to pin everything but the packages I'm presently developing.

Do you want your 'develop' packages to be picked up if there's a
released version of the package available somewhere, and your ranges
allow both to be picked up equally, by the way?

Regards,

Martijn