[Zope-dev] TutorialTest with zc.testbrowser.real

Graham Stratton gns24 at mythic-beasts.com
Tue Jul 1 23:25:10 EDT 2008

Hi all,

I currently need to write a tutorial for how to use the web
application which I've been developing. I'd really like to be able to
produce something testable, in a doctest-like way.

My best idea so far is to build something based on
zc.testbrowser.real, incorporating the ability to display comments on
the screen and to pause for some amount of time/until the user clicks
the mouse. The tutorial would need to run as a standard test (using
zc.testbrowser.browser?) when run from the test runner, but in human-
friendly mode when run as a tutorial.

I'm guessing that something like this would be very useful to many
people; so much so that I'd expect something similar to have been done
before. Is this the case? I have concerns about getting the tutorial
to run against an existing ZODB without making modifications to it. I
think there's some kind of storage which can wrap an existing storage,
can anyone point me the right way?

I think Stephan and others had some ideas along these lines at the
Foliage Sprint. I'd be grateful for your thoughts before I get started.

Thanks,

Graham