[Zope-dev] Test runner: layers, subprocesses, and tear down

Christian Theune ct at gocept.com
Sat Jul 5 03:18:33 EDT 2008

Hi,

On Thu, 2008-07-03 at 17:22 -0400, Benji York wrote:
> I'm working on making the zope.testing test runner run tests in
> parallelized subprocesses.  The option will likely be spelled -j N,
> where N is the maximum number of processes.

Getting back to the idea about parallelizing on a per-test base and not
per-layer:

The ZODB currently runs only unit tests (which became a true layer in
zope.testing/trunk) but takes about XX minutes on one of my machines (4
core XEON, 3.2 GHz).

I'd suggest that the general principle of splitting up the runs over
multiple parallel processes should happen in a way that if you have X
total tests and N parallel processes, we should have roughly X/N tests
run in parallel.

We could use layers as a hint to create subprocesses, but should split
up layers if they are too large to fit the X/N rule (maybe with a margin
of a few percent to avoid splits for single or few tests).

Christian

Christian Theune · ct at gocept.com