[Zope-dev] Re: [Plone-developers] PAULA: bringing Zope 3's authentication to Plone and beyond

Florian Friesdorf flo at chaoflow.net
Fri Jul 11 21:04:16 EDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 10:56:19PM +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Florian Friesdorf wrote:
> > Hi *,
> >
> > within the scope of google summer of code I am integrating zope 3's PAU with
> > Plone's PAS and further enable (non-AT) content objects as source for users and
> > groups. All functionality is developed in pure zope3, the plone integration is
> > happening in a separate packages.
> >
> > All documents describing the project, as well as links to the code can be found
> > here:
> >
> > https://chaoflow.net/projects/gsoc2008/z3membrane-ldap
>
> The one thing I am missing is: why?

Well, Zope moved onwards from PAS to PAU and I think Plone should too, because:
- PAU is way more pythonic and cleaner than PAS/PlonePAS, it is easier to write
  stuff for PAU;
- we should use as much as possible of Zope3 and avoid custom solutions,
  increasing the mutual benefit of all Zope3-based projects.

I am writing a PlonePAS plugin, that makes the world of PAU available to Plone,
i.e.  we can profit from whatever is available for PAU right now and becomes
available in the future.  Further, I am enabling pure zope3 content as source
for users and groups, not only usable for Plone, but for all Zope3-based
projects. And the resulting code is cleaner and easier to maintain and
understand.

For me, it is more a question of: why not?

> PAS works fine and covers a lot more functionality than PAU and there are more
> PAS plugins than PAU plugins.

PAU is doing things different than PlonePAS/PAS, but I don't see how the current
functionality of PlonePAS/PAS could not be achieved with PAU?

Yes, there are a lot more plugins for PAS than for PAU, but that does not
contradict, writing another PAS plugin, that makes all future auth plugin
writing easier. Whether PAU could/should replace PlonePAS/PAS at some point, is
a completely different story.

> It's also perfectly possible to use non-AT content as source for users
> with PAS as well as tools such as b-org demonstrate.

At least, two months ago, when I started with my project, membrane did not
support non-AT content and I don't know of any other project doing it; b-org is
all archetypes.

florian