[Zope-dev] Re: [Plone-developers] PAULA: bringing Zope 3's authentication to Plone and beyond

Florian Friesdorf flo at chaoflow.net
Fri Jul 11 21:15:39 EDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 05:01:49PM -0400, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> > Previously Florian Friesdorf wrote:
> >> Hi *,
> >>
> >> within the scope of google summer of code I am integrating zope 3's PAU with
> >> Plone's PAS and further enable (non-AT) content objects as source for users and
> >> groups. All functionality is developed in pure zope3, the plone integration is
> >> happening in a separate packages.
> >>
> >> All documents describing the project, as well as links to the code can be found
> >> here:
> >>
> >> https://chaoflow.net/projects/gsoc2008/z3membrane-ldap
> >
> > The one thing I am missing is: why? PAS works fine and covers a lot more
> > functionality than PAU and there are more PAS plugins than PAU plugins.
> > It's also perfectly possible to use non-AT content as source for users
> > with PAS as well as tools such as b-org demonstrate.
>
> Exactly. I don't mean to pee on anybody's parade here, but IMHO Wichert
> is right. To be constructive, I think it'd be much more interesting to
> investigate hooking Plone up to an external authentication mechanism
> such as repoze.who.

The main goal of the project is: to enable non-AT content as source for users
and groups! On that base it was accepted as a GSOC project for Plone.

The original idea was to extend membrane; after looking into it more closely, my
mentor (Jens W. Klein) and me agreed, that doing it from scratch, using PAU is
easier, future plugin writing will be easier and the whole Zope3 community could
benefit from it, too. That is why the original proposal was discussed only on
plone-dev and why I sent the mail now to zope-dev as well.

Nobody has to use it later ;) but the circle of people who could benefit from my
project, if they would like to, is definitely bigger doing it via PAU. And those
people who want non-AT content-based users and groups, will get a fully
functional PAU as well, which again they don't need to use for anything further,
if they don't want to...

florian