[Zope-dev] Re: [Plone-developers] PAULA: bringing Zope 3's authentication to Plone and beyond

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Sat Jul 12 08:57:46 EDT 2008

Mark Hammond wrote:
>> Well, Zope moved onwards from PAS to PAU and I think Plone should too,
>> because:
>
> It seems like just yesterday that PAS offered the promise of being the nice
> clean way forward for authentication, and even offered a path to Zope3.
> I've been subscribed to zope-dev since then, but somehow the anointing of
> PUA escaped my attention.

I think you've misunderstood slightly here ... PAS was and is a Zope 2
user folder implementation. It pre-dates Zope 3 (at least as we know it
now).

PAU is a Zope 3 authentication infrastructure. I suspect it's inspired
by PAS, but it isn't "PAS 2.0", or an "anointed successor" to PAS.

I find it interesting that Florian is planning to make it possible to
use PAU utilities in PAS. I'm somewhat less convinced that it would be
difficult to make membrane AT-independent. There isn't much AT specific
stuff in membrane, as far as I can recall.

I can't make a judgement as to whether PAU could bring additional
benefits, though.

Martin