[Zope-dev] Re: Zope 3 on Python 2.5, Zope 3 releases

Hanno Schlichting plone at hannosch.info
Tue Jul 15 04:34:02 EDT 2008

Chris Withers wrote:
> Martin Aspeli wrote:
>> Certainly, running Python 2.4 and Zope 2.10 compiled with mingw32 on
>> Windows as per http://plone.org/documentation/tutorial/buildout has
>> not given us any problems after a few months of using it.
>
> I would expect the above to work as *everything* is built using mingw32.

No, it is not. It uses the official Python Windows installer, being
built with some M$ C compiler, adds Python Win32 add-ons and PIL using
the Windows binary installers and only advertises using MinGW for
compiling all of Zope itself.

I haven't seen anyone running into any problems with this approach for
years now.

 From my understanding starting with 2.4 Python includes certain files
to make this approach work as smooth as possible. In the old days you
had to extract some header files out of the dll's, which are now
included in the binary installers by default.

Hanno