[Zope-dev] Re: No events in zope.annotation

Stephan Richter srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Tue Jul 15 14:28:58 EDT 2008

On Tuesday 15 July 2008, Tres Seaver wrote:
> > Comments? Silence is consent as always.
>
> I must be missing something:  why would you catalog annoations as though
> they were separate content objects?  The entire point of annotations was
> to be "meta" about some other content object.

Right, but annotations are still content in their own right. And we fire
events that are specific to annotations all the time, for example in workflow
instances.

> -1 to any change which encourages abusing them to look like "items" in
> the target object as a container.

It does not have to be like a container. It could be:

IAnnotationAdded(object, key, annotation)

Right now, I have no hook that allows me to do something else after I added a
new annotation for an object. Events are designed to allow expanding the
system without touching the original code. And that's what I want to do. We
do it in all the other packages of Zope 3.

Regards,
Stephan
--
Stephan Richter