[Zope-dev] Syntax error in python2.6

Tino Wildenhain tino at wildenhain.de
Mon Jul 21 09:52:29 EDT 2008

Hi,

Bristow Thankachan wrote:

>         def reorder(s, with=None, without=()):
>                                   ^
>         SyntaxError: invalid syntax
>
>         in line 56 of
>         /home/zope/ztrunk26/lib/python/RestrictedPython/Utilities.py.
>         The same code when run in python2.4 and python2.5 didn't give
>         any syntax errors. Can anybody suggest  the reason for this
>         syntax error in python2.6.
>

>     I'd say, "with" is now a keyword.
>
>     http://docs.python.org/ref/keywords.html
>
>     btw, shouldn't this already give a warning in 2.5?

Actually it does:

python2.5
Python 2.5.2 (r252:60911, Apr 17 2008, 13:15:05)
[GCC 4.2.3 (Debian 4.2.3-3)] on linux2
 >>> def foo(with=5):
<stdin>:1: Warning: 'with' will become a reserved keyword in Python 2.6
...     pass

So while I'm generally happy with getting zope and python developement
better in sync it seems we have been too fast here since I believe
python2.5 migration is actually still in process and now you are heading
for 2.6? Doing it one after the other should already ruled out such
problems.

I wonder what can of worms is waiting in the restricted python area.

Tino