[Zope-dev] Re: Extend specification of how to maintain the changelog

Jens Vagelpohl jens at dataflake.org
Thu Jun 19 03:08:54 EDT 2008

On Jun 18, 2008, at 20:30 , yuppie wrote:
> The current Zope 2 policy doesn't make sure the change history of
> unreleased versions is complete. But that's no essential part of
> that policy. And working with unreleased versions you might use
> subversion anyway.

See, I think that's bad. The change log should reflect all changes, be
it in a released version or from Subversion. Or be it a release branch
or the trunk.

>>> "Note that you don't need to note the fix in the CHANGES.txt on
>>> the trunk if you don't want to. At the time a new feature release
>>> is made, we merge the items in CHANGES.txt from the trunk and
>>> current release branch so that for any given release it notes the
>>> actual changes as of that release." http://www.zope.org/DevHome/Subversion/ZopeDevelopmentProcess
>> I think I have done some of that merging once in a while, but
>> always in a haphazard fashion and did not know about the URL you
>> provided. I personally dislike that, and would strongly favor
>> noting every change on the trunk as it is checked in, just like you
>> would do on the branch.
>
> Well. I don't like the "if you don't want to" part of the current
> policy because it just creates chaos. If everybody follows the same
> policy, the merging is not that much work.

It is much work if you have more than a single release branch. With
the CMF, we have had times recently where stuff is updated on up to 3
branches plus trunk. Having to consult all those branches to
synthesize the change log on the trunk is a major PITA and I don't see
how that can be sane.

jens