[Zope-dev] Re: zope.sendmail Retry fixes and new state machine.

David Pratt fairwinds at eastlink.ca
Tue Mar 11 08:42:11 EDT 2008

Hi Andreas. I think your response gets to the heart of the issue. For
software to be useful, it is often more important for folks other than
the author to understand it. This can only occur with communication.
Sometimes it is the understanding of edgecases in particular, that gets
lost over time. I find generally that I cannot keep in memory all of the
details of the code I write. Several months afterwards without my own
documentation, these details can be lost. So it is just important if I
need to come back to it myself as for anyone else.

If the test is worth writing, it is not difficult to add a small amount
of text to communicate about it. If the software is worth writing in the
first place, I consider the code incomplete without doctests. For
community projects, it is often the case that it is not the author
maintaining the code in the future. This only strengthens the argument
for doctests and the reason this has become the standard for zope.

Regards,
David