[Zope-dev] Re: Reducing dependencies of zope.publisher

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Sun Mar 23 15:12:31 EDT 2008

On Mar 23, 2008, at 3:02 PM, Martin Aspeli wrote:

> Jim Fulton wrote:
>>> This is of course a good goal in itself, though I'm curious how
>>> it  compares to the Repoze publisher and its "obob" machinery?
>> Me too.  I have a hard time figuring out what repoze is and I
>> don't  necessarily want to go swimming to find out. :) Is the
>> repose  publisher described somewhere?
>> I would like to create a 21st-century Bobo and this minimal
>> publisher  is part of that plan.  If I create a new Bobo, I want
>> it's  requirements to be minimal.  I don't want to depend on
>> something as  big as repoze seems to be.
>
> I think Repoze is a collection of many very small parts, rather than
> a very big whole. To me (i.e. to Plone), it's a way to deploy Zope 2
> applications (Plone) in a WSGI way with pipelines and filters and
> all the rest of it. Repoze is also splitting out some of the useful
> bits of a monolithic Zope into re-usable middleware, including
> virtual hosting, transaction co-ordination, retry, and profiling.

OK, I get that from the repoze about page. That doesn't explain why it
should be relevant to my proposal to create a stripped-down Zope 3
publisher.

> I suspect that the reason the Repoze guys ended up rewriting the
> Zope 2 publisher is that it was too monolithic to support deployment
> as a WSGI application.

Well, that's not my problem, on 2 counts. 1) I'm not using the Zope2
publisher. :) 2) The Zope3 publisher works just fine with WSGI and
Paste. I suppose Tres and Chris didn't reuse the Zope 3 publisher for
this because .... actually, I have no idea why they didn't.  I'm
pretty sure the Zope 3 publisher has the necessary hooks to allow
someone to implement Zope 2 publisher semantics.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton
Zope Corporation