[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope 2.12] Eggification of Zope 2 - pros and cons?

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Mon Mar 24 04:19:33 EDT 2008

Andreas Jung wrote:
> during the latest 'zope.publisher' thread on zope-dev I came up with
> the proposal to eggify the Zope core for the Zope 2.12 release. I would
> like to start a discussion about the pros and cons, risks and advantages
> of any eggification effort.
>
> Chris favors a 'big' Zope egg with some dependencies (like ZODB)
> stripped out.

I have pretty much done this already. [1] defines an egg called 'Zope2'.
All the Zope 3 eggs are dependencies, as are a few "non-core" packages
such as ExtensionClass, Acquisition, etc. (which are already eggified
and available on PyPI).

I also started a branch of the Plone egg back then to see if it can be
modified to install Zope 2 completely as a dependency. See [2].

> I would prefer a more broader approach. One of the reasons are
> company-internals modifications to the Zope core. Right now we
> maintain a more or less heavy modified version of Zope 2.8 in our
> repos (making Zope upgrades pretty hard). A better modularization
> would help  us here. Another example:
> the Plone people maintained a Zope 2.10 branch with experimental ZODB
> blob support. With an eggified version of ZODB you could easily
> switch the eggs (easily spoken).

I feel indifferent to this in general, so feel free to split away more
stuff from my 'Zope2' egg.

[1] http://svn.zope.org/Zope2.buildout

[2] http://svn.plone.org/svn/plone/dist/Plone/branches/philikon-buildoutify