[Zope-dev] Problems installing ZODB under Windows

Andreas Holtz A.Holtz at gmx.net
Wed Mar 26 09:04:40 EDT 2008

Hello,

I have some troubles installing ZODB under Windows with Python 2.5.1. Benji York recommended to post here.

The following it the problem:

I downloaded the egg file for ZODB from http://pypi.python.org/packages/2.5/Z/ZODB3/ZODB3-3.8.0-py2.5-win32.egg#md5=2a7c8eb2ad6304a859ffdf5e2b9a075f
and tried to install it with easy_install.

It quits with the following message:
Installed c:\python25\lib\site-packages\zodb3-3.8.0-py2.5-win32.egg
Processing dependencies for ZODB3==3.8.0
Searching for zope.interface
Reading http://pypi.python.org/simple/zope.interface/
Reading http://zope.org/Wikis/Interfaces/FrontPage
Best match: zope.interface 3.4.1
Downloading http://pypi.python.org/packages/source/z/zope.interface/zope.interface-3.4.1.tar.gz#md5=
b085f4a774adab688e037ad32fbbf08e
Processing zope.interface-3.4.1.tar.gz
Running zope.interface-3.4.1\setup.py -q bdist_egg --dist-dir c:\docume~1\holtza\locals~1\temp\easy_
install-9zm01c\zope.interface-3.4.1\egg-dist-tmp-8pfxjw
error: Setup script exited with error: Python was built with Visual Studio 2003;
extensions must be built with a compiler than can generate compatible binaries.
Visual Studio 2003 was not found on this system. If you have Cygwin installed,
you can try compiling with MingW32, by passing "-c mingw32" to setup.py.

Can somebody please create an egg for zope.interfaces 3.4.1 and other dependencies of ZODB? Will I have the same problems if I install the complete zope framework? I don't want to install Visual Studio or any other C-compiler.

Thank you very much

Andreas Holtz

PS: The changelog for ZODB 3.8 does not work either:
See http://svn.zope.org/ZODB/trunk/NEWS.txt?view=markup