[Zope-dev] Re: New i18n locale extraction concept

Christophe Combelles ccomb at free.fr
Thu May 1 08:25:26 EDT 2008

Christian Zagrodnick a écrit :
> On 2008-05-01 02:06:17 +0200, "Roger Ineichen" <dev at projekt01.ch> said:
>>

>> What does this mean?
>> The locale extraction is now a part of a recipe
>> and not a part of a package itself.
>>
>> My goal is to remove the dependencies in the
>> z3c.recipe.i18n, because right now it uses the
>> base implementation in zope.app.locales which makes
>> it depend on the hole zope namepsace. Because of
>> the overall zope.* dependenc in zope.app.locale.
>
> Actually, there is lovely.receipe:i18n which provides i18n extraction.
> Does z3c.recipe.i18n something else or why is there yet another i18n
> recipe?
>

>> The best option whould be to split zope.app.locales
>> into usefull packages. The not so good optipon whould
>> be to copy over the relevant classes and scripts to
>> the recipe and skip the dependency to zope.app.locale.
>>
>> I also started to use the recipe in z3c.locales
>> and zam.locales. Take a look at this package for
>> a real usecase.
>>
>> What do you think? Should we switch the locale extraction
>> to that concept for the zope.* packages too or not?
>
> Exctaction should be in a recipe, of course. But I'm also advocating for
> having the translations in the package and having one domain per package. `

One drawback of this, is that it will be a pain for translators to gather and
update translations, unless a tool is provided. Currently with only one file,
there is already few languages. It's much more efficient for translators to work
on one single big file than a lot of small ones.

It will also prevent from using one same translation at different places, and
identical messages will have to be translated several times, with the risk of
not being consistent across packages. Unless everything is done by one person,
using a translation memory.

It seems obvious and logical to split the translation domains, but we need to
provide a tool such as http://translationproject.org/extra/matrix.html
that will allow
- the package developer to submit a new POT file (by mail, upload, or anything)
- translators to quickly see what need to be done and submit updated POs

Ideally, the recipe i18n tool should be able to extract, merge, and give stats,
just like in the monolithic zope release.

Christophe