[Zope-dev] zope.sqlalchemy, integration ideas

Tino Wildenhain tino at wildenhain.de
Mon May 26 15:45:18 EDT 2008

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Today I had a discussion with Jasper Spaans about how to go about
> improving megrok.rdb, Grok's relational database integration which aims
> to integrate Grok with SQLAlchemy. We started developing megrok.rdb at
> the Grokkerdam sprint a few weeks ago. We reread the discussion
> surrounding zope.sqlalchemy for ideas on how to go about integration and
> configuration. I think these discussions reach wider than just Grok's
> concerns. Note that I'm not proposing we fold any of these ideas into
> zope.sqlalchemy itself, which should remain as free of policy as
> possible; it could become (yet another) extension.
>
> Let me run our current thinking by the list.
>
> What would be nice in Zope applications (and we think would be good for
> Grok) would be per-instance database configuration. That is, we want to
> be able to install multiple instances of the same application and then
> configure each of them with a different database URN and it should all
> work, each talking to their own database.

Instance meaning Zope instance? In that case I'd rather like to
have the configuration in zope.conf (even for classic zope2
with database adaptor) since it makes it both easy to change
w/o relying on a running client (think of user auth via database
and then chaning the session...) and also for security (currently
if you get into management account you can see login details to
the database which isnt always desired - as well as ability to open
arbitrary tcp connections from zope)

The implementation should be fairly easy and requires no special tricks.

Cheers
Tino