[Zope-dev] traversal: different with and without a request

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Fri Oct 17 04:43:44 EDT 2008

El 17 Oct 2008, a las 10:37 , Christian Theune escribió:
>> There is a process that actually needs the request and this process
>> is
>> what I call traversal: breaking down a URL and finding a publishable
>> object. zope.traversing has (almost) nothing to do with it, the real
>> kind of traversal happens in the publisher and facilitates
>> IPublishTraverse adapters (rather than ITraversable). The only case
>> when
>> the two kinds of "traversal" are intermingled is when ++namespaces+
>> + are
>> involved. Then IPublishTraverse-style traversal uses ITraversable
>> adapters. This has long been considered a mistake but was never
>> fixed.
>
> URL traversal makes use of zope.traversing though.

Yes, but only in the special case of ++namespace++ traversal. This is
what I said in the above paragraph already. zope.publisher itself
doesn't depend on zope.traversing and the default publication
implementation in zope.app.publication uses zope.traversing only for +
+namespace++ names (see usage of zope.traversing.namespace.nsParse in
zope
.app.publication.publicationtraverse.PublicationTraverse.traverseName).