[Zope-dev] Proposal: Backporting some Python 2.5/2.6 fixes

Hanno Schlichting hannosch at hannosch.eu
Thu Oct 30 05:30:24 EDT 2008

Chris Withers wrote:
> Sidnei da Silva wrote:
>> I would like to propose backporting some of the fixes needed for
>> Python 2.5 and 2.6 all the way down to Zope 2.10.

>> I would *not* backport changes to RestrictedPython because
>> those are actually features (support for newer versions of Python) as
>> opposed to the other changes, which are just 'bugfixes' IMHO.
>>
>> Would anyone be against this?
>
> I find this pretty disturbing as it implies you *would* be running Zope
> 2.10 on Python 2.5 or 2.6 without fixing RestrictedPython.

RestrictedPython is its own package. If Zope 2.10 / 2.11 does not
produce errors when being run under Python 2.5/2.6, you obviously need
to run the latest RestrictedPython version with it to get a complete
functioning system.

Since RestrictedPython is its own package this is easy to do. As long as
we don't advertise any kind of support for Zope 2.10 / 2.11 and Python
2.5 and 2.6 I don't see a problem with Sidnei's suggestion.

Having a them available for review in a branch as Andreas requested is
still a good idea.

Hanno