[Zope-dev] Dependencies and future of zope 3

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Wed Sep 3 06:41:19 EDT 2008

Hi there,
Roger Ineichen wrote:
[snip]
> Is someone willing to help doing that task?

I'm very interested in this topic as well, especially from the
perspective of Grok of course.

There are many strategies to go ahead in doing this. I'll list just one
observation I've had here.

One observation is that the pattern of '.browser' subpackages tends to
expand the dependency structure significantly. Often you want to use
non-browser functionality and don't care about the UI that ships with
.browser. At the same time .browser tends to add dependencies to the
overall package.

Other times (such as for zope.app.form.browser) the main reusable
functionality of a package is actually almost completely in the .browser
sub package. It might be nicer to flatten the namespace then and move
things from .browser into the main package.

It might therefore make sense to review packages one by one, and see
whether zope.foo.browser can be factored out into a zope.fooui package
or something like that. Of course the question remains how we can get
from A to B without a major breakage in backwards compatibility then.

Regards,

Martijn