[Zope-dev] Dependencies and future of zope 3

Marius Gedminas marius at gedmin.as
Wed Sep 3 11:37:01 EDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 12:50:06PM +0200, Andreas Jung wrote:
> --On 3. September 2008 12:17:56 +0200 Roger Ineichen <dev at projekt01.ch>
> wrote:
>> My personal meaning is, we already have a component architecture
>> but we need to split it in a different way into reusable components.
>> Such a split could probably not be done earlier because we didn't
>> see all the usecases. But now since we have grok, repoze and z3c
>> we have many more options to reuse other components and this makes
>> it much clearer what we have to provide as reusable and what not.
>
> Sounds like a task for someone to build a dependency graph in order
> to generate a visualization in order to figure out where to break the
> dependency chain.

  http://pypi.python.org/pypi/tl.eggdeps
    is a tool that extracts dependency graphs from egg metadata and
    produces a .dot file

  http://code.google.com/p/jrfonseca/wiki/XDot
    is an interactive .dot viewer (PyGtk + Cairo)

  http://pypi.python.org/pypi/gtkeggdeps
    builds on top of tl.eggdeps and expresses the graph as a tree

Unfortunately even these tools didn't help much in untangling the big
core dependency cycle, during the Foliage sprint last year.

Marius Gedminas
--
Computo, ergo sum.
                -- Curt Suplee