[Zope-dev] lxml and z3c.form strategy?

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Mon Sep 15 23:58:35 EDT 2008

Tres Seaver wrote:
>> We have to find a strategy to keep this packages
>> free of lxml and implement the z3c.pt support in
>> this packages in a different way.
>
> -1.  There is not much point in z3c.pt at all without lxml, which is
> where the speed boost comes from.

Actually, lxml is only used at compile time.  z3c.pt compilation is already much
slower than zope.pagetemplate compilation, but it's not really noticeable in the
big scheme of things, as compilation happens at most once per process
invocation.  The speed of z3c.pt mostly comes from compiling down to Python code
that is executed at template call time.  At template call time, lxml is not used
 at all.

- C