[Zope-dev] Zope 2: Unicode object ids and PropertyManager properties

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Wed Sep 17 13:24:10 EDT 2008

Paul Winkler wrote at 2008-9-12 09:04 -0400:
>Is there a concensus on the best way in zope 2 to handle non-ascii
>object IDs?  The current restrictions are based on a very old,
>gradually updated regex which still isn't right, see for example
>https://bugs.launchpad.net/zope2/+bug/143616

There is a branch which gets rid of the restrictions
"http://svn.zope.org/Zope/branches/dm-arbitrary-ids/".

It awaits "wetting" (special wish of Tres Seaver).

>Even if that's wrong, the ascii assumption seems to be so widespread
>in Zope 2 that I think, short of a full audit and a comprehensive
>plan, gradually using isinstance(foo, basestring) might just be false
>advertising that leads people into trouble.

Our local Zope got rid of the ASCII restriction several years
ago, mainly to support WebDAV with the same naming conventions
as typical file systems (i.e. including special characters (umlauts)
in names).

We have met only one problem:

  MS-WebDAV usually does not change the encoding -- but
  some WebDAV operations ("rename", "copy") follow the
  recommendation of HTML 4.01 to first "utf-8" encode and then
  url encode.

  Thus, we had to cope with both a "native" encoding
  and an utf-8 encoding.

--
Dieter