[Zope-dev] zc.dict.OrderedDict efficiency

Gary Poster gary at modernsongs.com
Sat Sep 20 07:42:38 EDT 2008

On Sep 18, 2008, at 4:02 PM, Benji York wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 3:52 PM, Thomas Lotze <thomas at thomas-
> lotze.de> wrote:
>> The documentation of OrderedDict from zc.dict 1.2.1 states that the
>> current implementation is inefficient for large collections because
>> it
>> uses a PersistentList to store the order. It also says that a BList
>> which
>> would be preferrable is not used as it is not yet released.
>>
>> - What's the state of those BLists? Are they just around the corner
>> or
>> would it be worthwhile to consider some interim solution to the
>> efficiency issue?
>
> I'm not aware of zc.blist's current state, but I think it's more-or-
> less
> ready.  If not and anyone knows what needs to be done to ready it
> for a
> release, you could take that up (the code is in svn.zope.org).

Yup, it's ready.  Stress tests run for several hours without bugs,
last I worked on it.  I had an idea of automatically converting
failing stress tests to repeatable tests, but by the time I had the
idea, the stress test wasn't failing any more.  That was really the
only thing holding me back from releasing.

To release it responsibly now, someone needs to claim maintainership.

Gary