[Zope-dev] who wants to maintain Zope 3?

Martin Aspeli optilude+lists at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 07:06:53 EDT 2009

Hermann Himmelbauer wrote:

> -1 from my standpoint. Two of my projects are fully based on the Zope 3
> server, and switching to something else would be quite some pain.

FWIW, I think you're absolutely right. We can't just declare it "dead"
because it is convenient to our goal of having clearer definitions about
what we're working with.

A piece of open source software is dead if no-one uses it and no-one
maintains it. At least then, existing users can't count on bug fixers or
security fixes.

I think Martijn's point in starting this thread was to try to identify
who wants to maintain Zope 3 as an app server and as something that gets
released going forward. Let's give those people a chance to respond.

Declaring things dead has a tendency to become a self-fulfilling
prophecy, and probably not something we should do lightly.

Martin