[Zope-dev] who wants to maintain Zope 3?

Stephan Richter srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Mon Apr 13 19:32:12 EDT 2009

On Friday 10 April 2009, Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Is anyone interested in maintaining Zope 3?

I am and anyone not using Grok or BFG should be. The Zope 3 KGS maintains
package compatibilities that reach beyond the Zope 3 Toolkit.

For example, it maintains compatibility over a very large set of z3c packages.

> With Zope 3 I mean:
>
> * the thing with the ZMI - do you care about the ZMI?

I think boxing in Zope 3 being the ZMI app is not useful. I have not used the
ZMI since 2 years now and I am still considering myself writing Zope 3 apps.

> * the thing that can be installed as a particular development platform -
> do you care about the installation story for Zope 3? (as opposed to Grok
> or your own application's?)

The installation story today is: Roll your own configuration of ZCML.

> * the thing that has some kind of documentation website - do you care
> about providing documentation for Zope 3 as opposed to documentation for
> Grok or individual libraries?

I am not interested about that.

Again, I think Zope 3, the set of packages, which is a superset of the Toolkit
KGS is very important to maintain. I think even for Grok people, since the
exposed z3c libraries are widely useful.

I have no problem keeping the Zope 3 KGS releases alive. Sooner or later we
should stop the large TAR ball releases though.

Regards,
Stephan
--
Stephan Richter