[Zope-dev] who wants to maintain Zope 3?

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Tue Apr 14 11:20:18 EDT 2009

Hey,

http://docs.zope.org/zopetoolkit/about/index.html

> I thought Zope 3 was being renamed "Zope
> Toolkit", but given recent discussions, I'm not sure.

That never was the idea. The idea was to separate the concept of the
toolkit from the concept of "Zope 3". Zope 3 (if people want to maintain
it) is a user of the Zope Toolkit just like the other users. The Zope
Toolkit inherits its libraries from Zope 3 but is trying to take on a
lot less code.

The goal is to take on *less* of a burden to maintain than the full Zope
3, and to move a bit faster than we have been.

The Zope Toolkit is a project that:

* aims at maintaining and releasing the various Zope libraries

* aims at supporting the projects that some of use these libraries
individually (repoze, bfg, twisted)

* aims at supporting the projects that use most of these libraries as a
set (Grok, Zope 2, Zope 3).

* doesn't include the ZMI bits

* won't have a way to install it (but Grok and Zope 2 and Zope 3 might
come to share a large part of the installation method)

* will try to shrink the codebase as much as it will try to grow it. To
this effect the refactoring efforts, with the aim to throw out libraries
(from the toolkit, not from the universe of packages) quite
aggressively. Hopefully much of zope.app.* can go, as the useful non-ZMI
bits get salvaged.

The Zope Toolkit is *not* like Zope 3 in an important sense: there's no
attempt to provide information about how to install it and start
developing with it. We'll have this information for the individual
libraries in the tookit, and for Zope 2 and Grok and so on, but not for
the Zope Toolkit itself.

Regards,

Martijn