[Zope-dev] Defining Zope 3.

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Mon Apr 20 17:32:58 EDT 2009

Lennart Regebro wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 18:42, Shane Hathaway <shane at hathawaymix.org> wrote:
>> It occurred to me that one simple test of a Zope naming scheme is to
>> consider what employers will write in job descriptions.
>
> That's a bloody good point.

Thanks.  I take it this point reinforces your proposal that we should
both create Zope Toolkit as a subset of Zope 3, *and* rename Zope 3 to
something else.

We could rename Zope 3 to "Zope Toolkit Reference Application for the
InterNet", or ZTRAIN.  This name expresses several intents:

- Zope 3 is the reference application for building something for the
Internet on top of Zope Toolkit.

- Not all of the Zope community is using it.  If everyone were using it,
we would call it simply Zope.  However, someone is using it, otherwise
we wouldn't bother naming it.

- Zope 3 was derailed (pun, ha ha) a bit and now we're trying to put it
back on track.

- People who like Ruby on Rails might like this too.

Also, it follows the open source tradition of slightly whimsical names.
  The logo could be a train engine driven by a Zope fish. :-)

Shane