[Zope-dev] Zope 2.12.0a2 released

Tres Seaver tseaver at palladion.com
Thu Apr 23 16:28:39 EDT 2009

Baiju M wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 12:27 PM, Tres Seaver <tseaver at palladion.com> wrote:
>>
>> Andreas Jung wrote:

>>> I just released
>>>
>>> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/zope.z2release/0.1
>>>
>>> that allows us to build an Zope 2 related index based
>>> on the versions.cfg file of the Zope 2 package. Easy_installing
>>> becomes pretty easy using this approach:
>>>

>>> virtualenv foo
>>> cd foo
>>> source bin/activate
>>> bin/easy_install -i http://some.url/index/2.12.0a3 Zope2
>> - - The 'source bin/activate' part should be unnecessary (I never use it,
>>  and I use *lots* of virtualenvs).
>>
>> - - I propose the following for the index URL:
>>
>>  http://download.zope.org/Zope2/index/2.12.0a3
>
> What about dropping that "index" from URL, like this:
>
>   http://download.zope.org/Zope2/2.12.0a3

Depends on where the actual tarballs are located.  The URL which gets
pointed to via 'easy_install --index <url>' has to be a "PyPI simple"
index, not just a listing of tarballs.

If we put *all* tarballs in '/Zope2', *never* removing or replacing one,
then we could have the index be named for the release number.
Otherwise, we could put the exact tarballs for a given release into a
directory named for the release, e.g. '/Zope2/2.12.0a3/, and then create
the "PyPI simple" index structure at '/Zope2/2.12.0a3/index'.

That box is the same as svn.zope.org / cvs.zope.org, with the virtual
host served from /var/www/download.zope.org.  I think contributors have
rights to scp files into some parts of that tree, but might need help
creating the top-level directories from somebody with more privileges.

Tres.
- --
Tres Seaver          +1 540-429-0999          tseaver at palladion.com