[Zope-dev] Proposal: set __parent__ and __name__ in Zope 2.12 OFS

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Mon Apr 27 11:02:21 EDT 2009

Hanno Schlichting wrote:
> Since these pointers will take precedence over any even manually crafted
> Acquisition chains, certain operations might no longer be possible. An
> object with parent pointers will have its real physical path as its
> context. In the way Acquisition used to be used, it was quite possible
> to change the context of things by crafting different AQ chains.

Indeed, and as someone who has real live production code that does
exactly this kind of thing, I'm a big -1 for these changes.

I'm also about -sys.maxint on these changes for Zope 2.12 as I'd like to
see 2.12 out the door as soon as possible.

For me, a true buildout-compatible release wins over all else. I really
think we should aim for nothing more in terms of features before 2.12 is
out...

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk