[Zope-dev] Packages to be released

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Sat Aug 8 12:37:16 EDT 2009

Hey,

Jim Fulton wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 12:31 PM, Martijn Faassen<faassen at startifact.com> wrote:
[snip]
> I certainly appreciate the participation.  I'm sure you appreciate the
> problem with breakage, although I'm not sure you appreciate it as much
> as I do. :) I think we've had too much breakage.

I think there are two forces here:

* people want stability in the integrated whole

* enabling the individual package developer: ideally a package can be
developed by itself and if the tests run, a release can be made.

We have made good progress in enabling developers and actually going
somewhere, but we haven't been good at providing and managing a stable
foundation yet for the ZTK.

I think lots of us are currently on Zope 3.4 KGS. Grok hasn't moved off
Zope 3.4 KGS yet either, for instance.

>> - we should be running a compatibility test
>> regime if we care about complex inter-package breakages.
>
> Yup. A number of people are working on this.  I'm very hopeful that we
> will get this figured out soon.

That's great!

By the way, I invite those people to document this in the Zope Toolkit
documentation. One problem I've had in the past is that I can't keep
track of what tools there are and how to use them; a single place that
gives an overview and some basic instructions would be very helpful.

Regards,

Martijn