[Zope-dev] SVN: zope.publisher/trunk/ Moved dependency on zope.testing from install_requires to tests_require.

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Tue Aug 11 08:35:16 EDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 8:02 AM, Martijn Faassen<faassen at startifact.com> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Jim Fulton wrote:
> [snip]
>> Id like us to say something along the lines of:
>>
>> "If your tests have additional dependencies, define "test" extra with
>> these dependencies.  Also define tests_require and test_suite so that
>> your package supports the test command."
>>
>> (Not verbatim and we should give examples.)
>>
>> Note I used to object to tests_require because the information wasn't
>> available after installation.  I still do, but I've started using it
>> anyway.  Tres wrote a plugin to fix this (thanks Tres), but I think
>> it's easier just to define tests_require (and test suite) along with
>> tests_require.
>
> Ah, that's cool. I take it it's not yet possible to do without the test
> extra entirely and let buildout rely on the test_require section? That
> way we could do without duplication.

That's what Tres' setuptools plugin allows. It seems to me to be less
work to just repeat the information. Even then, you don't really have
to repeat it.
You can define the test requirements as a module-level variable and
then refer to the variable in both tests_require and the extras
definition.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton