[Zope-dev] IRC discussion about testing

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed Aug 12 05:52:45 EDT 2009

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 2:31 AM, Wolfgang Schnerring<ws at gocept.com> wrote:
> * Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> [2009-08-12 01:36]:
>> On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 5:22 PM, Jim Fulton<jim at zope.com> wrote:
>>> - The versions specified in the controlled-packages.cfg don't seem to
>>> be honored except for the package being tested. For example,
>>> ZODB3-3.9.0b2 is used for test-kgs-ZODB3, but 3.9.0b5 is used for
>>> everything else. Fortunately, it appears I can work around this
>>> using a buildout versions section.
>>
>> In playing with this today, I'm inclined to think that it would be
>> simpler to use a list of packages in an option to specify the packages
>> to be tested and used a versions section to specify versions, rather
>> than using a controlled-packages configuration file.
>
> This doesn't strike me as simpler to *use* (as I said earlier, I'd much
> prefer a *single* gesture of "use this KGS" to set up both the versions
> and the list of packages to run tests for, and I think it's worth
> spending effort to get there), but I'm not sure that's what you meant.
> What makes you prefer two files instead of one?

I didn't say anything about 2 files.  I said I prefered a parts list
in a single option in combination with a standard buildout versions
section.  There are a number of reasons for this:

- We'll need the versions section to consume the KGS.  That is, given
a KGS, you'll often want to use the versions in other buildouts to
limit them to the known good configuration.

- I think a parts list in an option will be easier to control.  For
example, you will be able to use the standard buildout option
incrementing and decrementating machinery to modify it.

- After using it for a day, I find the controlled-packages syntax to
be a bit heavy.  Of course, it didn't help that I still had to create
a versions list.

- The parts section and versions section could be specified in a
single file, so the "gesture" for using them could be pretty simple.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton